Friday, February 26, 2010

A Truly Great Emperor: Diocletian



















By: Jonathan Siktberg
I, Gaius Aurelius Valerius Diocletianus, was the great emperor of the Roman Empire from 284 to 305 C.E. I was born in a family of low status, but I rose through the military to become the cavalry commander to the emperor Carus. After the death of Carus, I easily disposed of Carinus, son of Carus, at the Battle of the Margus and was proclaimed emperor of Rome. I successfully ended the crisis of the Third Century. The end of political turmoil came under my reign. I was one of the most accomplished emperors in Rome’s history. I secured the borders of the empire and eliminated threats of invasion. In 299, I led negotiations with Sassanid Persia to agree on a lasting peace. I recognized that the empire was too big for one person to govern well. I revolutionized the Roman Empire with the creation of the Tetrarchy, or rule of four. Under the Tetrarchy, I divided the empire into four divisions. I ruled one. I appointed Maximian as the other augustus in the empire. I also appointed Constantius and Galerius as caesars. The remaining three provinces were given to the control of these three rulers. I did my best to preserve the traditional religions of Rome by forbidding the Christians and persecuting them. I also created a tax reform that revolutionized taxing and made it more standardized. Many people opposed this reform, but it was definitely necessary for the continuation of the empire. Through my reforms, I prevented the Roman Empire from falling, and I stabilized it both economically and militarily. I also was devoted to building projects within the empire. I built the illustrious Baths of Diocletian in 306 C.E. These baths were the grandest of all the public baths and show my dedication to the grandeur of the empire. After the fire in 283 A.D, I rebuilt the Curia Julia and the Basilica Julia in magnificent style. I truly restored the elegance to Rome. Showing my honor, I voluntarily abdicated the throne on May 1, 305. I was the first emperor to voluntarily leave the throne. I returned to my palace in Split, Croatia and tended to my vegetable gardens. This shows that I was not corrupt or a power hungry emperor. I was just an emperor who was dedicated to the well being of the Roman Empire. I rose from a boy born into poverty to a man who was an able ruler of the great Empire of Rome.












No comments:

Post a Comment