Friday, February 26, 2010

Constantine the Great


Clint Smith



I am arguably, the most known emperor, of Rome ever not including Caesar. I am Caesar Flavius Valerius Aurelius Constantinus Augustus, also known as Constantine. I was called Constantine the Great by the Christians. I was born in 272 AD to my father Constantius and my mother Helena. My father was a famous emperor in the West in around 305. I was held captive in the courts of Diocletian. I escaped and went to my father. Sadly, shortly after I accompanied my father, he died in 306. I am just glad I could see him one last time before he died. After my father died, my soldiers named me their leader. After this I was thinking about going in to try to take power from Maxientius. I waited until 312 to do so. I invaded him and we fought on the Mulvian Bridge right outside of Rome. In doing this, I became the sole leader of the West. Before the battle, I happened to look up in the sky. I saw a symbol of the Christians. I kept thinking about this sign when I was fighting. After the battle, I proclaimed that this symbol made me victorious. In doing this, I became a Christian. I also made all my men put crosses on their shields, helmets, and swords so that God could be with us when we were fighting. During my rein, I also helped spread religious tolerance throughout the empire. Licinius and I came together in 313 to produce the Edict of Milan. This gave religious tolerance all around the empire and sent an end to persecution. However, in 324, I conquered Licinius to become the sole ruler of the empire. I am proud of myself not only for unifying Rome and making reforms of Diocletian. I was a successful emperor and military leader. I found my new capital of the Eastern Empire and named it Constantinople after myself. I was feeling sick after a battle. I felt myself dying slowly and thought it would be the perfect time to be baptized. I was baptized only hours before my death in 337 AD. In my rein, I constructed some great buildings and sights. My first big project was built in 315. This was the Arch of Constantine. I built this arch to commemorate my victory in 312 in becoming the sole leader of the west. This building spans the Via Triumphalis and is said to be the “Entrance and Exit” of the emperors. In this arch, there were 8 columns and a couple sets of medallions. I also built the Basilica Nova in 312. I built this building to serve as a courthouse, a council chamber, and a meeting hall. It was later used a church. This building is in important one because it is the last buildings of the Roman Forum. Lastly, I dedicated the Church of the Holy Apostles in 330. This building was built and burnt down over and over again. This building is where I am buried and it served as a church too. It was finished in 550. I decided to put this building in Constantinople. I decided to put 12 columns on this building to be a symbol of the 12 apostles. I also built many other things including the Baths at Trier and the St. Peters Church. As one can tell, I was a fabulous emperor who was a great person, leader, and military leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment