Friday, February 26, 2010

Augustus' Autobiography


By: Collin Bishop

I am Augustus, the first emperor, or “princeps” of Rome. I was great in many ways, as a military leader, an emperor, and as a person, of course. I was the one who made Rome what it is today, the largest city in the ancient world. It was under my rule that the city started to take shape and all the credit should be mine. I had the Pax Romana started under me, except for one year long civil war in the Mediterranean, but who really cares about that. I restored many temples, and built my own house on the Palatine Hill. I constructed the completely new Forum of Augustus, the Temple of Caesar, and The Mausoleum of Augustus, to house my own body and that of others. As a great military commander, made many reforms in the roman army, which brought in more revenue. But better than the things I have done in my rule was the legacy that I left behind. I brought a great long-lasting imperial system to play and that started the empire of the Rome. The old city was divided into four parts, but I made it into fourteen divisions each with its own ruler.

I was a very handsome man if I do say so myself and was in an elite class of people. I was a champion in all my battles, particularly THE battle of Actium in 31 B.C. where I conquered mark Antony, as well as the Battle of Philippi in 42 b.c., where Mark Antony and I defeated Caesar’s murderers and avenged his death. Moreover, I was devoted to religion just as much as any average man and I wanted to honor the gods-I built many temples and on top of that my forum housed a temple dedicated to mars, the god. Even though I am not blood roman and was adopted I still am very proud of my great roman lineage because I had a lot of well know people in my family line. Throughout my life and as emperor of rome my real main goal was just expand, expand, and expand, and honor the gods and your family. I aspired to be the greatest emperor I could be and I guess I didn’t turn out to bad. Farewell, and to any person who reads this may you have a good life.

-----Augustus the Great

No comments:

Post a Comment