Friday, February 26, 2010

Hadrian: Life of a Boss

By Bradley Long

I, Publius Aelius Hadrianus, was the fourteenth emperor of Rome. I was raised mostly under the guidance of Trajan, the future emperor and my adoptive father, after my parents died while I was ten. I began my political career as a tribune and led legions in the wars against Dacia led by Domitian and Trajan. Through my various military conquests I rose to the rank of governor of the province of Pannonia. I also was a leader in the campaign against Parthia. Shortly after, Trajan died in 117 and I was named his heir. I quickly gained the support of my legions and this led to the support of the Senate. My reign was relatively peaceful especially compared to the extensive conquests of Trajan. I released his conquest of Macedonia because its defense was impossible. I also secured our borders through extensive fortifications, including my wall in England to protect our colonies from the barbarians to the north. The wall was up to six meters tall and six meters wide. I used this as intimidation and other similar structures to stop invasions through the threat of violence, although my reign was peaceful. My reign was marked by my frequent absence from Rome and my travels throughout the Empire. I inspected the armies and pursued my cultural passions. I greatly enjoyed other cultures, especially Greek philosophy. Their influence is seen in my appearance and architectural style. I constructed several great public works using the spoils of Trajan’s conquests. I built two of the greatest temples of Rome, the Pantheon and Temple of Roma and Venus. I greatly appreciated the religion of Rome and showed my respect for the gods through my buildings. I also built myself a grand tomb on the bank of the Tiber because the Mausoleum of Augustus was full. I showed my respect to Trajan by having him deified and I erected a temple in his honor. My extensive building projects and creation of peace are the highlights of my reign and I was a great thinker, leader, and man.

No comments:

Post a Comment